Friday, January 22, 2010

pata tim

This is Pata Tim. For those of you who are not familiar with this dish, let me tell you, you are not alone. In fact, I've never heard of Pata Tim until I met the Perlases. This is Nanay Rose's specialty. Although, I did not get this recipe from her (and that's probably a mistake because her pata tim is unbelievably good!), I had to decide what to do with left-over pork hocks from yesterday's kare-kare. I found this recipe online on Lutong Pinoy. I think the difference from Nanay Rose's recipe is she uses pineapple juice instead of root beer as stated in this recipe. At the end of it, it was very rootbeer smelling, which was weird for me. I am very bad at following recipes. In fact, I find that the six cups of water they said to boil my pork in was too much. Instead, I used the same water I had boiled the pork in the first time which is not six cups for sure. I just removed the fatty residue and foam that formed on the top and used the same broth. I also think 1 cup of brown sugar was probably too much as it made my pata tim a little too sweet for my taste. Nevertheless, here is the link to the recipe for those who are interested.

No comments:

Thanks August Empress for the cool background!