Tuesday, January 24, 2012

unique food: nian gao

As a kid, I remember knowing when it's Chinese New Year because my mom would buy plenty of niángāo or tikoy during this time of the year. Niángāo is made from glutinous rice flour and is very popular in the Chinese community in the Philippines. It has been said that eating niángāo during this time of the year will bring good luck.  My bestfriend found this at the Asian market, imported from the popular Chinese community in the Philippines called Binondo . I haven't had tikoy in a while  so I was very excited to get the chance to cook it again =)
 We usually would dip it in egg and fry it. I'm not sure I did this right. I'm sure my mom would know how to do this better, but it was good nevertheless =)
Happy Chinese New Year to all of you and may you all have the best of luck this Year of the Water Dragon!

No comments:

Thanks August Empress for the cool background!